Sailing things right
11 March 2024
12:22 · original post in Telegram https://y-b.one/boat-life/247/
It was hell of a night.
Yesterday we departed at 0700 from Teuldada and started sailing to Sicily. At about 1400 wind died and we started motorsailing.
At 1740 dense smoke from under the hood and a buzzer signalled that we're having troubles.
At the moment we were 25 miles SE to Sardegna with the west wind of 20-25kn.
Choice was to go 150+miles forward, having a high chance to get catched by the very nasty swell from Gibraltar or fight the way back to Cagliari against the 30kn apparent wind and 2m swell but only 35 miles.
Decided to go back. At least we will be closer to the rescue if something will go even worse.
So, with up to 40° banking during the 35kn gusts we fought our way back and successfully reached the gulf of Cagliari where were just 12-15 knots of wind with a tiny swell less than 0.5m.
But at the 0100 there were no one in 7 marinas around to tug us to the mooring so I decided that we're going to sail back and forth the gulf with about 15% of the open sail area at two knots, close to drifting until the morning come and someone will be able to help us.
Finally at about 1000 we got an answer and help.
At the moment we're moored at Marina di Capitana. Planning engine inspection and voyage for coolant, at least.
